Email for your business is one of the most important areas of a company. Here are a few reasons why:
- Customer Service: Business emails allow quick communication, which allows a company to provide a high level of customer service. As everyone knows, if your customers cannot reach you in a timely manner, they will go away.
- New Leads: Email brings in potential customers that email wanting information about your service/product. If you do not get the email, you have potentially lost a customer.
- Calendar: Email applications usually come with a Calendar feature. I know I would be lost without my calendar to not only go to appointments/meetings, but to also set them.
Knowing how important your email is to the success of your business, makes it easy to see that having a reliable business email service is a must.
Here are a few options:
- Paid Email: This service provides a business email that looks professional by appearing as firstname.lastname@example.org. These professional business email account such as Google Apps for Work, or Microsoft Office 365, charge a fee. You typically pay per email, per month for this service, but you won’t find emails that are more reliable and have the big company backing to provide top notch service. You will be less likely to receive Spam, or have downtime for your email. Some downtime might occur, but no one’s perfect….especially in the world of the internet.
- Free Email: You could sign up for a free gmail, yahoo, or other email service. Since it’s free, it won’t have the professional look, such as email@example.com, but could say firstname.lastname@example.org, for example. This might be a good option if you are a small business or a business just getting off the ground. Most of these providers, especially if they are backed by a big company (Google, for instance), are reliable.
- Server Free Email: This type of email is typically offered if you host with a particular provider….(GoDaddy, for example). An advantage to this type is that you will get the professional look of email@example.com. However, it has been my experience that these emails have the most problems with spam and downtime. And, if your website is on a shared hosting server, meaning other websites are on the same server as your business, infected websites can spread the virus to all its neighbors. This happens more than you think, and is why paid email is becoming more and more popular.
In short, my opinion is you get what you pay for and if you want your company name in your email, and you can afford it, you should go with a paid email service. However, if that is not in your budget, choose a free email with a reliable company.